Friday, September 18, 2009

I'll Never Stop Loving You: Vol 1 (Mondo Morricone)

Pasted Graphic 1

In the late 90's, my friends and I became obsessed with soundtracks to 60's and 70's Euro horror and smut. Record labels like Dagored and Crippled Dick Hot Wax were releasing tons of previously unavailable and unknown material by some pretty amazing composers and bands of that era. The album that started our particular craze was Mondo Morricone (originally released by Colosseum and later reissued by Royal Ear Force and Stereo Deluxe) which is a collection of arguably his finest moments from the late 60's and early 70's. Of course, Ennio Morricone was not famous in America for this work, but for his Spaghetti Western themes that are as recognizable as they are fun to whistle and sing. Those pieces are thankfully left off of this collection and the subsequent More Mondo Morricone and Molto Mondo Morricone.



On my first listen at the tiny but enchanting house of Mark Cuadrado (Slowcore Pictures) I was stopped in mid sentence by "Ritratto d'Autore" and forced Mark to repeat the song 2 more times and successively louder volumes. A shockingly simple piano melody, matched by a harpsichord, is soon backed by a painfully slow swell of strings before being joined by a bad ass but laid back drummer. And then he softly bludgeons you with the sweetest melodies arranged in brilliant crescendo to overwhelming climax. Thinking that the most memorable moment of my night had passed, we continued talking and smoking until I was again halted by what I believe is Ennio Morricone's most perfect piece of pop genius "Metti, Una Sera a Cena".

The theme song to a film of the same name (also released as Love Circle) this song is designed to make you want to stand up and cheer. Thankfully I had not, nor have I yet, seen this movie because I can't imagine the context the song is used in being appropriate for it's grandeur unless the main characters are suddenly transformed into beams of radiant light that cause the world to experience simultaneous orgasm.

The compilers of this collection are so brilliant that immediately after this song is "Sauna" and I tell you the name says it all. It is the sonic equivalent to afterglow, relaxation, and leisure. I want to live in this song.

I listen to this album almost once a week. Sometimes I will put it on and let it repeat endlessly, never tiring of it. It brings me up, it brings me down, it suits nearly every mood I have. Every road trip, every hangover, every pill induced opiate haze, every marathon of snowboarding videogames is scored by Mondo Morricone. I purchased several collections (More Mondo and Molto Mondo are totally worth getting), as well as the full soundtracks of many of the films featured on Mondo Morricone, most of which I adore, but the perfect balance of the material on Mondo Morricone will make it my favorite forever. I'll never stop loving Mondo Morricone.


also check out "The Smart Set" - Alberto Baldan Bembo, "Vampiros Lesbos: Sexadelic Dance Party" - various, and "Profondo Rosso" - Goblin

No comments: