Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Rundown: currently rocking...

In my more productive times, the only music I get to listen to is music I am working on. Right now, it's The Lights and Black Daisy that are in complete control of my iPod, car stereo, and mind. That said, sometimes an album or a song comes along that breaks through my little shell. Here are some of those things for you.


41I+Q+PTypL._SL500_AA240_
1. The Horrors - Primary Colors
Gothy, punky, poppy, shoegazery greatness. Didn't really get the first two records, but LOVE LOVE LOVE this one. Favorite track is "Who Can Say", but this is definitely the best album I've heard in a long time.


asdf-1
2. Dead Mellotron - Ghost Light Constellation EP
I mentioned this EP in a previous post and it's still a front runner for my late night wine drinking soundtrack. Every song sounds different, but is still contained within the Dead Mellotron aesthetic of fabulous melodies, perfect lo-fi production, and a MASSIVE fuzzed out sound that isn't unlike New Order as heard through a failing PA in the belly of a battleship. PS Don't forget to download "Shame" from their Myspace page. Amazing.


41Af36ehBUL._SL500_AA240_
3. Hudson Mohawke - Polyfolk Dance EP
Heavily manipulated samples and a touch of ADD (when I first heard this, I called it Jay-DD) this EP is another great addition to WARP Records' catalogue. I can't get enough of "Polkadot Blues" which is almost as heartbreaking as it is frenetic. And check out that album cover! Love me some WARP.


51KDkeI+5qL._SL500_AA240_
4. Flying Lotus - (unknown)
A friend dropped off a CD of Flying Lotus stuff with nothing written on it. I have no idea what album I'm listening to, but I have a feeling that everything he's released is good. Similar in style to Hudson Mohawke, but darker and a little smoother. The sample from the end credits of Tim and Eric Awesome Show...Great Job (abso-LUTELY!) make me smile.


51wpGavdcqL._SL500_AA240_
5. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - self titled
I found these guys on Myspace around a year ago and told everyone I knew. Now they're the next big thing. Did I do that? Probably not. I think it's their super catchy Sarah Records inspired pop music. The Pastels come to mind, too. A good mesh of old school indie cute (not the new crop of children's music masquerading as "indie") and the lighter side of shoegazer. "Everything With You" is my favorite.


I've got some more new albums that I like, but these have been listened to more than once. There's also a lot of old shit that I listen to regularly, but that's a whole different post.

xo

No comments: