Monday, June 8, 2009

Sore knees and kind words

This running thing is great, but I'm worried it might be for people with better knees. Or maybe my knees are about to become bionic and I'll be able to run slo-mo but faster than everyone else (I don't know how to type the Bionic Woman sound effect, but I did want to be her when I was a kid.)

Hobbling from my bed to the computer this morning, I received this review in my email.

http://spectrumculture.com/2009/06/erik-blood-the-way-we-live.html



What carries The Way We Live is that producer's ear, which enables Blood to beautifully craft the arrangements of each song. Whether he's detailing urban frustration on "Home & Walk" or attempting a new beginning on "Broken Glass," it's the punchy guitar that initially snags the listener's attention, while Blood bricks up a wall of sound behind that. Sometimes it's strings, sometimes it's layers and layers of sighing vocals, but always it's a juggernaut of sound that demands attention.

Then I discovered that "To Leave America" is featured on John Richard's "Summer Songs" podcast. You can subscribe to his, and many other amazing podcasts at KEXP.ORG.

So despite the pain and limited mobility, today's turning out to be a pretty good day.

P.S. Happy Gay Pride Month! Do something gay, like going to see me at the Tractor on the 16th.

xo

2 comments:

C-had said...

Every few months I discover something great from listening KEXP. Sometimes it is the song of the day and sometimes it is the music that matters podcast. "To Leave America" is great!

Also, I understand the whole digital distribution thing but, any chance of this coming out on vinyl? All great albums deserve vinyl.

Erik Blood said...

Hey Chad, no vinyl planned yet, but let's keep our fingers crossed.